BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 27, 2009

TOEFL- Barron

I find the Barron's TOEFL iBT reading section is much harder compared to those in Bruce Rogers and those in Mc Graw Hill(ETS). I would suggest to those who will be taking TOEFL to try out the Bruce and ETS first before trying out the Barron. The reason is that the passages in Barron are much more intricated.

Some of the passages were easy for me as I have a little knowledge about it beforehand and some of them are interesting. I remember there was a passage about symbiosis in the third test if I am not wrong. I am sure those who have taken Biology would be advantageous. Truthfully, I did not face any difficulty in the last question of this passage(summary).

I think some of the passages were convoluted especially those which relate to histories, American personalities and literatures. I made most of my mistakes in these kind of passages. One reason would be that these topics were not of my interest..hahaha. I spent most of my time in the summary and inference based questions as I need to grasp and understand the main idea and what the author is trying to convey. My advice would be, try to look forward to the content and do not detest it...just take it like any other passages.



Tips:

  1. Before starting any test, make sure you are nonchalant.
  2. Make sure your environment is conducive.
  3. Keep focus all the time.
  4. If you are a slow reader like me, then I would suggest you to read the question first.(it did help me to save time)
  5. Remember what Yu Jin have taught you in class(especially those techniques-skim and scan)...hahaha

0 comments: